Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Human of the Year


When I was in preschool, we were going to have a really huge concert and a party afterwards to celebrate the end of the school year. Needless to say, I was pretty excited. The big day came and I was ready to sing.

My parents never showed up. I haven't forgotten how upset I was. I cried my eyes out and probably called my parents terrible. I'm sure they felt awful.

That was the only time anything like that happened, though. The only time in my life my parents have forgotten about something like that, and I still remember it more than I remember all the time they were there for me. I guess It's pretty easy to take good memories for granted. It's easy to take parents for granted, too: to complain when your mom isn't around to make dinner or help you with homework because she's working late, when in reality she's just trying to make enough money so that you'll have food to eat. Parents sacrifice a lot more than kids sometimes realize. I know I don't always think about it.

I guess that's why I don't really want to have kids. I'd be worried that what I'd gain would be less than what I would give up. Almost any parent will tell you differently, but I don't know if I buy that. I mean, I know my parents are halfway insane with three kids--my grandma had seven kids and she's definitely snapped*. It's not like I don't like kids or anything-in fact, I think they're wonderful-but I couldn't be around a baby for more than twenty-four hours if I had to care for it.

Sorry. That was kind of a rant.

*Just kidding. My grandma's not psycho or anything, but she's close. I'll save that for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment