Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Best Imitation of Myself-Ben Folds Five

When we were in fourth grade, my three best friends and I were obsessed with Little Women. Or, rather, we were obsessed with figuring out which of the four March sisters we would be. I was Jo. We did the same thing with Mean Girls when we saw it (I was Cady), and with Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Cameron) and any other movie we watched from then on. I did the same thing in many different subjects: which animal I would be if I were one (a cat); which MyScene doll I would be (Chelsea); and which of my pets I would be (Ink the cat). I hope I'm not the only one who's ever done this. It just made everything so much more interesting, living vicariously through one of your alter-egoes. It's also easier when you're trying to find out who you are: "Hmm...I love books, I have brown hair. I'm sensible, reliable, and restrained. But I can still be funny and emotional...That would make me Hermione." Plus, if you were watching a movie with friends, it was almost like being able to gossip about them without actually hurting anyone's feelings ("Katie, I can't believe you just failed that math test to get Aaron to like you!"). But as fun as it is, it becomes hard to seperate yourself from whatever it is you're being compared to. I am not Cameron Frye, I am not Jo March or Cady Heron or Hermione Granger. I am Katie Clark, my own person.

No comments:

Post a Comment