Sunday, October 17, 2010

Redundant

Redundant-Green Day

People complain so much about the American school system. We should, theoretically, be ahead of all other countries given how fortunate we are to have so many resources at our disposal. But we're disproportionately far behind. American schools don't put enough emphasis on competitive subjects like math and science, instead choosing to review the American Revolution every other year.

I really don't like math and science. But I think if I was exposed to them more, I'd have to learn how to like them. If it were up to me, I'd just cut out math and science completely. Unfortunately, this seems to be the outlook of most American students; we ignore our problems in the hope that they'll go away, and then we fail math and hate it even more.

Now, I'm all for studying history, arts, and languages. They're essential to understanding ourselves the way science is essential to understanding the world around us. I just think they're too repeptitive. As much as I enjoy learning about the Constitiutional Convention, it has sort of lost its luster the fifth time around. This redundancy is inefficient for those who have the memory retention to be able to move on froma subject after the first time. The American school system has the potential to produce students who can hold their own against the best and brightest of other countries. We just have to rethink our priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment