Sunday, October 17, 2010

As Time Goes By

As Time Goes By-Frank Sinatra

Looking back at my old school pictures and home videos, I realized that my personality has not changed one bit since I was little. Of course now my behavior is a lot different-I would no longer steal someone's shoes at recess and chuck them over a hill any more than I would attempt alchemy-but I am still the same person I have always been. I've always had a short fuse and always will. I will always be a bit arrogant and hate being wrong. And once I love something-be it book, movie, or band-I am obsessed with it and will defend it tooth and nail.

It's so hard to change who you are, really. Your actions can be affected by your upbringing, but I think the basic themes of everyone's personality are independent of that. I guess I just like to think that my personality is not a result of anyone else's actions. If it is, my parents inadvertantly chose a strange combination of traits for me.

The way we were when we were little is probably the purest version of ourselves we will ever be. We were all unafraid to be ourselves up until middle school, a mean teacher, or peer pressure pounded that out of us. The trick is to be able to peel away the layers of cynicism and doubt and be who you are and always will be.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like I am so annoying with all this psych stuff I comment with, but I do have an answer for you. Studies have shown that personalities are not affected by your environment (but opinions, and beliefs are) except in trumatic events (like post-tramatic stress). Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, that's actually very helpful. I have nothing to go on but my own observations, so that's nice to know.

    ReplyDelete