Monday, November 22, 2010

I Am A Proud Grammar Geek

The one thing I find most irritating about Facebook, texting, Twitter, and computers in general is how they have apparently made grammar and spelling go right out the window. Are people that lazy or that strapped for time that they just neglect some of the most basic elements of the English language?

To a lot of people it may not seem that important, but eventually it will add up. Many say that it's actually beneficial, but I just think it makes people sound stupid. I'm not talking about writing "its" instead of "it's" or not capitalizing words. I mean consistently misspelling simple words like "friend", "what", and "does". As a grammar freak, it really bothers me. I hope I'm not the only one.

"omg liek wuts rong wit spelin lik diss? im not stupidd so dont pertend 2 b all smartr n beter thn me! if anythin i m th smarter perssn her"

Yeah. Real quote (not directed at me). My eyeballs nearly popped out of my sockets when I read this. And it does make you seem stupid. Like, really, really stupid.

Idiocracy-Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment